Monday, March 15, 2010

Filling out your Emergency Medical Release form

I love our tour company, USA Student Travel. They are so good at so many things (greatest of which is providing safe, fun, amazing experiences for our students!). However, one thing I've been politely nagging them to update recently is the Emergency Medical Release form.

Just like the old-fashioned school permission slip we teachers sometimes still use, the Emergency Medical Release form still asks for parents' "Work Phone" and there is no room for "Cell Phone" anywhere. If I need to contact a parent at 10:00 p.m., it's unlikely that most parents will even be at work to answer a "work phone." However, if you see my phone number come up on your caller ID on your cell phone, you'll know that it's important we talk.

Please check out this sample form that I have filled out so you know what I think the front side should look like. Some of the information about me is real, some is made-up :-) The copy you received in the mail a couple weeks ago is yellow. I'm also providing a link to an additional copy of the form to this e-mail if you need another.

Sample Emergency Medical Release: http://staff.hartdistrict.org/rvi/usasample.pdf
Blank copy of the form: http://staff.hartdistrict.org/rvi/emr2010.pdf

Out of all the things I ask you to bring to this Thursday evening's meeting (yourself, your child, the $10 for tips, Rio Norte photo ID card), this form is probably the MOST important simply because it is the legal document giving me the authorization to get medical care for your
child. If there is any kind of problem (medical or otherwise), I will use this form and start calling phone numbers in the order you indicate on the form.

I hope to never have to call you for an emergency, but if I do have to, a matter of a couple minutes can make a big difference to you, me, and your child. If you want me to call a cell number first, then write down that number first.

If you have any questions about filling this out, please don't hesitate to e-mail, call, or text me. See you this Thursday evening, March 18, at 7:00 p.m. in the Rio Norte library.

RVI

No comments: