Friday, April 2, 2010

East Coast Trip - Staying connected via text message

In the last year, I have crossed over the threshold into the world of text messaging. While I’m not sending thousands each month like some of our eighth graders, I do see the value it has. One thing I would like to try is sending out broadcast text messages to the students on our trip on an as-needed basis to distribute information and reminders during the times when I allow students to use cell phones: in the airport, in the hotel as we are getting ready for bed checks, and in the morning as we are waking up and heading down to breakfast.

On these trips, I often find one little tip or tidbit I forget to share when we’re together as a big group. This is when it would be so helpful to just send out a quick text blast to everyone (kids and adults alike) so we’re all getting the same information.

If you would like your child to receive these updates, simply text me from your child’s phone with their FIRST and LAST NAME as the message. You could also send it to me via e-mail, but if you can text it to me I can more easily save it. I should have thought of this sooner (to give me time to save everyone to my Contacts before we start the trip), but this is the first East Coast Trip where I could consider myself a “texter.”

If you (kids or parents) have ANY questions in the final 48 hours leading up to our departure, however silly or small or insignificant you think it is, please feel free to e-mail me at rippolito@gmail.com. Chances are, if it’s on your mind, it’s one someone else’s mind, too. I will respond personally to your e-mail, and if I think others might be wondering the same thing, I’ll post the information to the blog, Twitter, and Facebook.

RVI

No comments: